San Alberto project on stream in Bolivia

Partners in San Alberto field south of Tarija in Bolivia brought the first development phase on stream in early January. Partners in the gas development project are operator Petrobras Bolivia SA�a unit of Petroleo Brasileiro SA�with 35%; TotalFinaElf SA with 15%; and Empresa Petrolera Andina SA, 50%.


Partners in San Alberto field south of Tarija in Bolivia brought the first development phase on stream in early January.

Partners in the gas development project are operator Petrobras Bolivia SA�a unit of Petroleo Brasileiro SA�with 35%; TotalFinaElf SA with 15%; and Empresa Petrolera Andina SA, 50%.

The area is producing 6.6 million cu m/day, which is transported to Brazil through the Bolivia-Brazil pipeline under a 20-year take-or-pay contract with Petrobras.

Under the terms of the same contract, TotalFinaElf and partners plan to increase gas deliveries to 12 million cu m/day when the project's second phase comes on stream in 2002.

Work on the second phase is ongoing.

For TotalFinaElf, start up of San Albert production is a first step in developing the San Alberto block and adjacent blocks San Antonio (in which the company holds 15%) and XX West (which TotaFinaElf operates with 41%).

More in Exploration & Development