Eni drills discovery offshore Ivory Coast

July 28, 2022
Eni SPA drilled the Baleine East 1X well in Block CI-802 on the Baleine structure, about 5 km east of the Baleine 1X discovery well in adjacent Block CI-101, offshore Ivory Coast.

Eni SPA drilled the Baleine East 1X well in Block CI-802 on the Baleine structure, about 5 km east of the Baleine 1X discovery well in adjacent Block CI-101, offshore Ivory Coast. Results increased estimated volumes of hydrocarbons in place by 25% to 2.5 billion bbl of oil and 3.3 tcf of associated gas.

The well, the first exploration well and second discovery in the block, was drilled to a final measured depth of 3,165 m by the Saipem 12000 drillship in 1,150 m of water. It confirmed the presence of a continuous oil column of about 48 m in reservoir rocks with good properties.

From the vertical borehole a horizontal drain of 850 m in length was subsequently drilled into the reservoir to perform a production test that confirmed a potential of at least 12,000 b/d oil and 14 MMscfd associated gas. 

Eni will drill a third well and expects to start production in the block in first-half 2023.

Eni is operator with 90% interest. Petroci Holding holds the remaining 10%.