Eni ASA has discovered natural gas offshore of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. Interim results from the first exploration well in Abu Dhabi’s Offshore Block 2 Exploration Concession indicate 1.5–2 trillion standard cu ft of raw gas in place.
Well XF-002, in 115 ft of water, discovered gas in place in multiple good quality reservoirs of the Jurassic exploration targets. Drilling operations will continue to reach the deeper exploration targets of the Khuff and Pre-Khuff formations. After completing the well drilling in the second quarter, final findings will be assessed.
Eni is operator with 70% interest in the 4,033 sq-km block, awarded in January 2019 in the first-ever competitive bid round for exploration blocks launched by Abu Dhabi National Oil Co. (ADNOC) (OGJ Online, Jan. 14, 2019). PTTEP holds the remaining 30%.
Eni has been present in Abu Dhabi since 2018. The company is the operator of three exploration licenses and has a participation with ADNOC in three offshore development and production concessions, Lower Zakum (5%), Umm Shaif and Nasr (10%) and Ghasha (25%).
This discovery marks the first from Abu Dhabi’s offshore exploration concessions.