Dolphin gets QP gas; prepares for UAE imports

Dolphin Energy Ltd., Abu Dhabi, has received its first supplies of natural gas through a pipeline from Qatar and is testing its import facilities ahead of the project's planned commercial launch this summer.

Eric Watkins
Senior Correspondent

LOS ANGELES, Mar. 8 -- Dolphin Energy Ltd., Abu Dhabi, has received its first supplies of natural gas through a pipeline from Qatar and is testing its import facilities ahead of the project's planned commercial launch this summer.

"Gas is being received from Qatar Petroleum (QP) for Dolphin's export pipeline connecting Qatar with the UAE," Dolphin said without detailing the quantity of gas received.

The $3.5 billion pipeline initially is planned to carry 2 bcfd, but the pipeline has a design capacity of 3.5 bcfd to accommodate expected later demand. Qatar plans to export 200 MMcfd to Oman starting in 2008 (OGJ, Feb. 19, 2007, p. 48).

Two weeks after completion of testing, the Taweelah import and distribution terminal in Abu Dhabi will begin supplying up to 400 MMcfd to Dubai under a preliminary supply agreement with QP.

Once Dolphin's own gas begins arriving from Qatar in midsummer for UAE customers, the arrangement for the early gas deliveries with QP will end. Full commercial operations will start in midsummer, when Dolphin will send as much as 3.5 bcfd of gas to the UAE.

Abu Dhabi government-run Mubadala Development Co. owns 51% of Dolphin, while the remaining 49% is shared 50:50 by Total SA and Occidental Petroleum Corp.

Contact Eric Watkins at hippalus@yahoo.com.

More in Companies