CNOOC resumes production from Bohai Bay oil field

CNOOC Ltd. has resumed production from Bohai Bay BZ25-1/BZ25-1 South oil field. The company had suspended production in November 2009 because of damage to the facilities caused by strong winds.

By OGJ editors
HOUSTON, June 8
-- CNOOC Ltd. has resumed production from Bohai Bay BZ25-1/BZ25-1 South oil field. The company had suspended production in November 2009 because of damage to the facilities caused by strong winds.

CNOOC said the field produced about 27,000 bo/d prior to the incident.

BZ25-1/BZ25-1S field, jointly developed by CNOOC and Chevron Corp., is in the southeast part of Bohai Bay about 150 km southeast of Tanggu.

Chevron notes that this field's unitization agreement was the first-ever between CNOOC and a foreign partner.

Texaco Inc., which merged into Chevron Corp. in 2001, signed the petroleum contract for Block 11/19 in Bohai Bay in April 1992 and discovered the BZ25-1 field with the Bozhong 25-1-8 discovery well, drilled in 57 ft of water to a TD of 7,134 ft in 2000 (OGJ, July 24, 2000, Newsletter). The well cut 115 ft of net pay in Tertiary Minghuazhenat sands at 5,500-700 ft.

Following an appraisal program, the field was redesignated BZ25-1S and found to straddle the boundary between Block 11/19 and the self-financed area of CNOOC.

Operator CNOOC holds 83.8% interest in the field. Chevron holds the remaining 16.2%.

More in Companies