Stone Energy makes new gulf find

Chieftain International Inc., Edmonton, Alta., said it has participated in a discovery in the Gulf of Mexico. South Pass 38 No. 1 well was drilled to 13,500 ft TD and cased for production. It found more than 340 net ft of hydrocarbon-bearing reservoir rock in multiple productive intervals.


By the OGJ Online Staff


HOUSTON, Mar. 21
�Chieftain International Inc., Edmonton, Alta., said it has participated in a discoverynew find in the Gulf of Mexico.

South Pass 38 No. 1 well was drilled to 13,500 ft TD and cased for production. It found more than 340 net ft of hydrocarbon-bearing reservoir rock in multiple productive intervals.

The No. 2 well was drilled immediately after No. 1. It was drilled to 12,800 ft; it will be deepened to 15,800 ft to evaluate the primary objective section. So far it has found more than 250 net ft of hydrocarbon-bearing Miocene sands.

Chieftain International and operator Stone Energy Corp., Lafayette, La., are planning to design and install a production facility able to process 50 MMcfd of gas and 2,000 b/d of oil. Production should begin in the fourth quarter.

The companies plan to drill more wells on the block this year to delineate productive reservoirs and test additional exploration prospects.

Stone Energy owns 75% interest in the block, and Chieftain owns the remaining 25%.

Chieftain also said its West Cameron 300 No. 3 exploratory well was drilled to 11,900 ft TD. It logged 66 net ft of natural gas-bearing reservoir rock in Miocene sands.

The well tested at 11.5 MMcfd of gas and 300 b/d of condensate. Partners in the well are working to connect it to facilities that handle production from the No. 1 well. Production from No. 3 is anticipated in the second quarter.

Chieftain operates the block with 35% interest. Pure Partners owns 25%; Duke Energy Corp. holds 17%; William G. Helis Co., 12%; Browning Co., 10%; and Houston Exploration Co., 1%.

More in Companies