UPR, Magnum Hunter confirm East Texas gas find

Union Pacific Resources Inc., (UPR) Fort Worth, Tex., and Magnum Hunter Resources Inc., Irving, Tex., on Tuesday said a confirmation well extended their Mossy Grove natural gas discovery, located 90 miles north of Houston in Walker and Madison counties, Tex.


Union Pacific Resources Inc., (UPR) Fort Worth, Tex., and Magnum Hunter Resources Inc., Irving, Tex., on Tuesday said a confirmation well extended their Mossy Grove natural gas discovery, located 90 miles north of Houston in Walker and Madison counties, Tex.

The Dickens A-231 No. 1 well is producing 12.5 MMcfd of gas and 330 b/d of condensate through a 30/64-in. choke with flowing tubing pressure of 2,800 psi. Gas sales began May 18. Production is from one horizontal segment extending over 8,596 ft in the Glen Rose formation from a vertical borehole. Total footage drilled in this well was 19,901 ft.

UPR is operator for drilling operations and holds a 75% interest in the well and surrounding 2,000-acre unit. Magnum Hunter owns the remaining 25%. Its wholly owned subsidiary, Gruy Petroleum Management Co., is operator of production.

The Dickens A-231 #1 well was drilled on acreage previously held 100% by UPR. The two companies also have formed an area of mutual interest (AMI) and currently hold more than 36,000 mineral acres under lease within the AMI. UPR owns interests in the properties ranging from 35% to 75%, while Magnum Hunter owns about 25%.

More in Companies