Drilling/Production news briefs, June 29

Houston Exploration Co. � Devon Energy � Vastar Resources � Aker Maritime � Burlington Resources � Baker Energy � Husky Oil � A.P. Moller Maersk � Navion � Bluewater Offshore Production Systems ... Petro-Canada


Houston Exploration Co., Houston, on Tuesday said that three wells in which it holds interests have been drilled and completed at its West Cameron 587 field in the Gulf of Mexico. A-15 and A-16 are producing a combined 25 MMcfd, while A-17, which flowed about 10 MMcfd on test, will be put on production in early August. All three wells were drilled from the A platform. Additional compression is required, as the facilities are currently producing at capacity. A fourth well will be drilled from the B platform during August. Houston Exploration holds a 64% working interest in the field. Devon Energy Corp., Oklahoma City, is operator of the block and owns the remaining 36% working interest.

Vastar Resources Inc., Houston, awarded Aker Maritime ASA a contract for a spar floating production platform for Horn Mountain field on Mississippi Canyon Block 127 in the US Gulf of Mexico. Aker Maritime's Houston office will be responsible for engineering, procurement, fabrication, and delivery of the complete spar hull and mooring system. The hull will be built at Aker Maritime's yard in Finland. Final project sanctioning is scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2000, with proposed delivery of the 555-ft tall spar scheduled for the second quarter of 2002. The spar will be installed in 5,400 ft of water. Production from Horn Mountain is expected to peak at 65,000 b/d of oil and 50 MMcfd of gas. Vastar operates the field with two-thirds interest, and Occidental Petroleum Corp. holds the remainder.

Burlington Resources Inc., Houston, signed a contract with Baker Energy, Houston, for operations and maintenance of all its Gulf of Mexico properties on the Outer Continental Shelf. The $60 million agreement was announced earlier this year (OGJ, Feb. 7, 2000, Newsletter). The agreement involves 54 manned and unmanned oil and gas facilities. Baker Energy is a unit of Michael Baker Corp.

Husky Oil Ltd., Calgary, is reviewing bids from companies to build an oil production vessel for the White Rose oil field off Newfoundland. Bids have been filed by A.P. Moller Maersk of Denmark; Navion AS of Norway, a joint venture group; and Bluewater Offshore Production Systems Ltd. of the Netherlands. Husky did not reveal details of bids. Husky has a 72.5% interest in White Rose, which is slated to be the third field developed in the Jeanne d�Arc basin. Petro-Canada owns the remaining 27.5%.

More in Companies