Petrobras confirms extension of Jupiter oil discovery

Petroleo Brasileiro SA (Petrobras) reported that the 3-BRSA-1246-RJS well proved an extension of the Jupiter oil discovery on Block BM-S-24 in the presalt Santos basin.

Petroleo Brasileiro SA (Petrobras) reported that the 3-BRSA-1246-RJS well proved an extension of the Jupiter oil discovery on Block BM-S-24 in the presalt Santos basin.

The Apollonia well, the fourth drilled in the Jupiter area, lies 296 km offshore Rio de Janeiro and 8 km southwest of the 1-RJS-652A discovery well in 2,183 m of water.

The well proved a 313-m hydrocarbon column at a depth of 5,166 m with good porosity and permeability, Petrobras says. An 87-m thick “pit oil” column also was indicated.

Petrobras says fluid samples collected in the well demonstrate similar characteristics to those found in the 1-RJS-652A wildcat well and two extension wells, which found a large deposit of natural gas and carbon dioxide, condensate, and oil (OGJ Online, Oct. 30, 2013).

Drilling will continue until the well reaches a total depth of 5,700 m.

Petrobras is operator of BM-S-24 with 80% interest. Petrogal Brazil, owned by Protugal’s Galp Energia SGPS SA and China’s Sinopec Group, holds the remaining 20% (OGJ Online, Nov. 14, 2011).

More in Discoveries