Tamboran spuds horizontal well in Beetaloo sub-basin

Aug. 2, 2023
Tamboran (B2) Pty Ltd. spudded the Shenandoah South 1H horizontal well in exploration permit 117 in the Beetaloo sub-basin, Northern Territory, Australia.

Tamboran (B2) Pty Ltd. spudded the Shenandoah South 1H (SS1H) horizontal well in exploration permit (EP) 117 in the Beetaloo sub-basin, Northern Territory, Australia, partner Falcon Oil & Gas Ltd. said in a release Aug. 1. 

The well, the first of two horizontal wells to be drilled in 2023, is about 60 km south of the A2H well site. The deeper reservoir in this area of the basin is expected to deliver higher pressures, based on data from the two Santos-operated Tanumbirini wells in EP 161.

SS1H is being drilled by the H&P (Helmerich & Payne) Flex 3 Rig and will include a horizontal section of about 1,000 m which will target the Amungee Member B-shale at an estimated target depth of 3,200 m (about 700 m deeper than the Amungee NW-2H (A2H) well in EP 98).

Tamboran is operator of EP117 (77.5%). Falcon Oil & Gas holds the remaining 22.5%.