Pakistan’s Parco lets contract for Mid-Country refinery

Pak-Arab Refinery Ltd. (Parco), Karachi, has let a contract to Honeywell UOP LLC and Honeywell Process Solutions (HPS), both divisions of Honeywell International Inc., to provide process technologies and advanced automated controls for a project designed to increase output of cleaner transportation fuels from its 4.5 million-tonne/year Mid-Country refinery at Mahmood Kot, 65 km north of Multan, Pakistan.

Pak Arab Refinery Ltd Mid Country Refinery

Pak-Arab Refinery Ltd. (Parco), Karachi, has let a contract to Honeywell UOP LLC and Honeywell Process Solutions (HPS), both divisions of Honeywell International Inc., to provide process technologies and advanced automated controls for a project designed to increase output of cleaner transportation fuels from its 4.5 million-tonne/year Mid-Country refinery at Mahmood Kot, 65 km north of Multan, Pakistan.

As part of the contract package, UOP will deliver licensing, basic engineering design, and other associated services for its proprietary modular Penex isomerization unit for production of cleaner-burning, high-octane gasoline, as well as its modular Polybed pressure swing absorption (PSA) system for high-pressure recovery and purification of hydrogen from refinery process streams, Honeywell said.

Alongside UOP technologies, the project includes implementation of HPS’s Experion Process Knowledge System, which the refinery will use to increase operator productivity and plant profitability.

Pak Arab Refinery Ltd Mid Country Refinery

The technology and equipment package comes as part of Parco’s plan to expedite the refinery’s production of low-emission fuels to meet both the Pakistani government’s tightening environmental regulations for transportation fuels as well as growing domestic demand for finished petroleum products, the service provider said.

The Mid-Country refinery currently produces unleaded gasoline containing less than 150 ppm sulfur, as well as diesel that complies with Euro 2-quality standards of less than 500 ppm sulfur content, Parco said in a March report.

Project details

While Honeywell disclosed neither the value nor duration of the contract, recent tender prequalification documents from Parco indicate the scope of work involved in an upcoming turnaround at the Mid-Country refinery is to include revamp modifications and tie-ins for new units, as well as construction-installation of two licensor-supplied modular units and related facilities.

Preturnaround and construction activities are scheduled to begin by this year’s second quarter, with official turnaround work slated to kick off during first-quarter 2018, according to the operator’s web site.

Parco is a joint venture of the government of Pakistan 60% and the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, which holds the remaining 40% share through International Petroleum Investment Co. subsidiary Abu Dhabi Petroleum Investment Co. LLC.

Contact Robert Brelsford at rbrelsford@ogjonline.com.

More in Refining & Processing