Work proceeds on Khalifa Point refinery

A survey and geotechnical investigation have been completed for the $5 billion Khalifa Coastal Refinery project planned by Abu Dhabi's IPIC and Pakistan's Parco near Hub in Baluchistan Province.

Eric Watkins
Senior Correspondent

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 14 -- A survey and geotechnical investigation have been completed for the $5 billion Khalifa Coastal Refinery project planned by International Petroleum Investment Co. (IPIC) of Abu Dhabi and Pakistan's Pak-Arab Refinery Ltd. (Parco) near Hub in Baluchistan Province (OGJ, Oct. 15, 2007, Newsletter).

A detailed feasibility study for the 300,000 b/d refinery will be completed by January 2008, with the front-end engineering and design expected by November 2008.

A construction contract is expected to be awarded by March 2009, with completion of the facility due by December 2012.

IPIC will hold 74% of the project, with Parco holding the remaining 26%.

Contact Eric Watkins at hippalus@yahoo.com.

More in Refining & Processing