CPCC, QP plan petrochemical complex in Ras Laffan

Chevron Phillips Chemical Co.—a joint venture of Chevron and Phillips 66—and Qatar Petroleum have signed an agreement to develop, build, and operate a petrochemicals complex in Ras Laffan Industrial City, Qatar, that will produce ethylene and HDPE.

Jun 24th, 2019

Chevron Phillips Chemical Co. LLC (CPCC)—a joint venture of Chevron Corp. and Phillips 66—and Qatar Petroleum (QP) have signed an agreement to develop, build, and operate a petrochemicals complex in Ras Laffan Industrial City, Qatar, that will produce ethylene and high-density polyethylene (HDPE).

The proposed complex will include a 1.9 million-tonne/year ethane cracker as well as two HDPE derivative units with a combined capacity of 1.68 million tpy, CPCC said.

In addition to exclusive licensing of its proprietary MarTECH loop slurry process for manufacturing HDPE, CPCC will provide project management, engineering, and construction services to develop the project.

As part of the development phase, the companies also will study potential efficiencies that could be realized by harnessing existing capabilities of Qatar Chemical Co. joint ventures to provide overall operational management of the completed complex.

CPCC said it expects the project’s engineering design phase to begin shortly, with planned start-up of the complex targeted for late 2025.

QP will own a 70% majority share of the joint venture, while CPCC will hold the remaining 30%.

Contact Robert Brelsford at rbrelsford@endeavorb2b.com.

More in Refining & Processing