Dolphin Energy begins supplying gas to Oman

Abu Dhabi's Dolphin Energy, as part of a 25-year gas sales agreement signed in 2005, has begun supplying Qatari natural gas to Oman via pipeline.

Nov 6th, 2008

Eric Watkins
Oil Diplomacy Editor

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 6 -- Abu Dhabi's Dolphin Energy, as part of a 25-year gas sales agreement signed in 2005, has begun supplying Qatari natural gas to Oman via pipeline.

"This is a historic moment for Dolphin Energy; it is equally significant for three nations [which] have embraced and supported the Dolphin Gas Project from the very beginning," said Dolphin Chief Executive Ahmed Ali Al Sayegh, referring to Qatar, the UAE, and Oman.

The gas is produced from Dolphin's production wells off Qatar, processed at the Ras Laffan gas plant, and shipped through a 48-in., 3.2 bcfd capacity pipeline to the UAE emirate of Abu Dhabi.

From Abu Dhabi, the gas is shipped along Dolphin's Eastern Gas Distribution System to Al Ain in Fujairah, where the line connects to a new Omani pipeline at the Oman border. Oman will be receiving 200 MMscfd of gas under the terms of its GSA with Dolphin.

In addition to Oman, other long-term customers for Dolphin gas from Qatar include Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority, Union Water & Electricity Authority, and Dubai Supply Authority. Each has signed a 25-year gas supply agreement with Dolphin Energy.

Mubadala Development Co., run by the government of Abu Dhabi, owns 51% of Dolphin, while Total SA and Occidental Petroleum share equally in the remaining 49%.

Contact Eric Watkins at hippalus@yahoo.com.

More in Pipelines & Transportation