Gulf of Mexico

The potential size of the Criollo prospect in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico has likely been reduced and its commerciality has yet to be determined, said Cobalt International Energy Inc., Houston.

By OGJ editors
HOUSTON, Jan. 29
– The potential size of the Criollo prospect in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico has likely been reduced and its commerciality has yet to be determined, said Cobalt International Energy Inc., Houston.

Cobalt, operator with 60% working interest, drilled the Green Canyon 685-1 sidetrack to a planned total depth of 31,145 ft true vertical depth in 4,200 ft of water and is suspending operations. Total E&P USA Inc. has the other 40%.

The original well cut 55 ft of Miocene-age oil-bearing reservoirs, and the sidetrack logged 73 ft of Miocene oil in correlative reservoirs. Both wellbores encountered structural complexities associated with salt that prevented testing the entire prospective interval.

A detailed review of the well data and reprocessing of the existing 3D prestack depth seismic data will be required before Cobalt and Total determine the next appropriate steps.

The next exploratory well in Cobalt’s 2010 drilling program, Firefox-1, is to spud in the first quarter of 2010. Firefox is in Green Canyon blocks 773 and 817, where BHP Billiton Petroleum (GOM) Inc. is the operator and Cobalt has 30% working interest. Firefox is in the Tahiti basin 6 miles northeast of the Heidelberg discovery.

The next Cobalt-operated exploratory well, North Platte-1, is to spud in the second quarter of 2010. North Platte targets Lower Tertiary horizons in Garden Banks blocks 915, 916, 958, 959, and 960. Interests are Cobalt 60% and Total 40%.

More in Home