Shell discovers oil in GOM Appomattox prospect

Royal Dutch Shell PLC announced an oil discovery in the eastern Gulf of Mexico at the Appomattox prospect in 7,217 ft of water on Mississippi Canyon Blocks 391 and 392.

By OGJ editors
HOUSTON, Mar. 19 – Royal Dutch Shell PLC announced an oil discovery in the eastern Gulf of Mexico at the Appomattox prospect in 7,217 ft of water on Mississippi Canyon Blocks 391 and 392.

The discovery well was drilled on Mississippi Canyon Block 392 to a depth of 25,077 ft and encountered 530 ft of oil pay. An appraisal sidetrack drilled to 25,950 ft encountered 380 ft of oil pay.

Shell didn’t say whether the well had been tested. Additional appraisal is planned later this year.

Shell operates and holds an 80% working interest in the prospect, with Nexen Inc. holding the remaining 20%. It’s the third discovery for Shell and Nexen in this area since 2003.

Shell made an initial discovery in the deepwater eastern Gulf of Mexico in 2003 with the Shiloh strike. A second discovery followed in 2007 at Vicksburg about 6 miles east of Appomattox (OGJ, Feb. 11, 2008, Newsletter).

Shell operates all these discoveries.

More in Home