Aker BP ASA will consider production of an oil and gas discovery made 14 km northeast of Skarv field in the Norwegian Sea and 220 km west of Sandnessjøen.
Well 6507/3-15 was drilled in production license 941 by the Deepsea Nordkapp drilling rig to a vertical depth of 2,197 m subsea. It was terminated in the Åre formation in the Lower Jurassic. Water depth at the site is 348 m. The primary exploration target was to prove petroleum in reservoir rocks from the Middle Jurassic (Fangst group). The secondary target was to prove petroleum in reservoir rocks from the Lower Jurassic (Båt group).
The well encountered an oil and gas column totaling about 115 m in the Fangst and Båt groups, 40 m of which was in sandstone layers with good reservoir quality in the Fangst group, and about 55 m in sandstone layers with moderate to good reservoir quality in the Båt group.
There was an additional 100 m of sandstone layers in the Båt group with moderate to good reservoir quality. The respective gas-oil and oil-water contacts were encountered at 1,980 m and 2,021 m subsea. Preliminary estimates place the size of the discovery at 1.7-5.7 million std cu m of recoverable oil equivalent.
The well was not formation-tested, but extensive data acquisition and sampling were carried out. The well will be plugged.
Deepsea Nordkapp will next drill wildcat well 6507/3-16 (OGJ Online, May 23, 2022).
Aker BP is operator of the license with 80% interest. PGNiG Upstream Norway AS holds the remaining 20%.