TotalEnergies sanctions gas field development onshore Nigeria

June 20, 2024
TotalEnergies made a final investment decision to develop Ubeta gas field onshore Nigeria.

TotalEnergies made a final investment decision (FID) to develop Ubeta gas condensate field onshore Nigeria.

Ubeta, which lies in onshore license OML 58 about 80 km northwest of Port Harcourt in Rivers state, will be developed with a new 6-well cluster connected to existing Obite infrastructure through an 11-km buried pipeline. Production is expected to start in 2027, with a plateau of 300 MMcfd (about 70,000 boe/d including condensates).

Ubeta is expected to be a low-emission and low-cost development using existing gas processing infrastructure. The project’s carbon intensity will be further reduced through a 5 Mw solar plant currently under construction at the Obite site and the electrification of the drilling rig, the operator said.

OML 58 contains two fields currently in production: Obagi oil field and Ibewa gas-condensate field. Gas production is processed in the Obite treatment center and supplied to both the Nigerian domestic gas market and to the Nigeria LNG (NLNG) liquefaction plant on Bonny Island—which is undergoing capacity expansion to 30 million tonnes/year (tpy) from 22 million tpy—in which TotalEnergies holds 15% interest.

TotalEnergies is operator of OML 58 with 40% interest. Nigerian National Petroleum Corp. (NNPCL) holds the remaining 60%.


About the Author

Alex Procyk | Upstream Editor

Alex Procyk is Upstream Editor at Oil & Gas Journal. He has also served as a principal technical professional at Halliburton and as a completion engineer at ConocoPhillips. He holds a BS in chemistry (1987) from Kent State University and a PhD in chemistry (1992) from Carnegie Mellon University. He is a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE).