Total signs exploration contract for Mauritania’s C7 block

Total SA has signed a contract with the Mauritanian government for exploration work on the 7,300-sq-km C7 block. Total will be operator with 90% interest alongside Societe Mauritanienne des Hydrocarbures et de Patrimoine Minier (SMHPM) with the remaining 10%.

Total SA has signed a contract with the Mauritanian government for exploration work on the 7,300-sq-km C7 block. Total will be operator with 90% interest alongside Societe Mauritanienne des Hydrocarbures et de Patrimoine Minier (SMHPM) with the remaining 10%.

“This agreement is part of Total’s strategy to explore new deepwater basins in Africa,” said Guy Maurice, senior vice-president, Africa, at Total Exploration & Production. “The addition of the C7 block to our existing C9 deepwater license creates a contiguous exploration area of around 17,000 sq km in a high-potential zone in offshore Mauritania.”

Total also holds 90% interest in the 10,150-sq-km deepwater C9 license. The firm also operates the 12,500-sq-km onshore Ta29 exploration license in the Taoudenni basin. Contracts were signed for both licenses in 2012 (OGJ Online, Jan. 6, 2012).

More in Exploration & Development