The Cobalt International Energy Inc.-operated North Platte No. 4 appraisal well in the Gulf of Mexico encountered 650 ft of net oil pay, which is greater than the 550 ft of net pay found in the North Platte No. 3 appraisal well (OGJ Online, Nov. 3, 2015).
The North Platte No. 4 initial appraisal results also indicate high-quality Inboard Lower Tertiary Wilcox reservoirs on the eastern flank of North Platte field, the firm says.
Cobalt is currently evaluating log data, fluid samples, and pressure information, and is preparing for a geologic sidetrack to further analyze the extent of the eastern flank of the field.
The geologic sidetrack is expected to be completed in the first quarter.
“The confirmation of high-quality reservoir on the large eastern flank of the field is encouraging,” said Timothy J. Cutt, Cobalt chief executive officer. Cobalt says an update to the resource potential will be provided following the sidetrack operations.
Cobalt holds 60% working interest in North Platte. Total E&P USA Inc. has the remaining 40%.