Woodside progresses Gulf of Mexico projects

Oct. 25, 2023
Woodside has let a flexible pipe contract to TechnipFMC and installed subsea equipment from Trendsetter Engineering for Trion and Shenzi North projects in the Gulf of Mexico, respectively.

Woodside Energy has let a flexible pipe contract to TechnipFMC and installed subsea equipment from Trendsetter Engineering Inc. for Trion and Shenzi North projects in the Gulf of Mexico, respectively.

TechnipFMC will supply infield flowlines and jumpers for the Trion project 180 km off the coastline and 30 km south of the US-Mexico border in 8,200 ft of water. Trion will be developed with 18 wells (nine producers, seven water injectors, and two gas injectors) drilled in the initial phase and a total of 24 wells drilled over the life of the project.

A 100,000 b/d capacity floating production unit (FPU) will connect to a floating storage and offloading (FSO) vessel with a capacity of 950,000 bbl of oil (OGJ Online, Aug. 30, 2023).

In August, Woodside received field development plan approval from Mexican regulator Comision Nacional de Hidrocarburos (CNH). First oil is targeted for 2028.

Trendsetter Engineering delivered two subsea manifolds, two high integrity pressure protection Systems (HIPPS), and TCS clamps for Shenzi North about 195 km off the coast of Louisiana in the Green Canyon area. Trendsetter partnered with Proserv for the HIPPS control system and ATV for provision of the HIPPS shutdown valves.

By using HIPPS modules, existing flowlines, risers, and topsides, Shenzi North can tie‐in to the existing Shenzi tension leg platform (TLP). Delivery and subsequent start‐up of the two well‐based HIPPS modules represent the first fully sanctioned and operational subsea HIPPS units in the region, the service provider said in a release.

Woodside started production at Shenzi North in September (OGJ Online, Sept. 13, 2023).

Woodside is operator at Trion (60%) with partner PEMEX Exploración y Producción (40%) and operator of Shenzi (72%) with Repsol holding the remaining 28% interest.