Woodside starts production at Gulf of Mexico Shenzi North

Sept. 13, 2023
Woodside has started production at its Shenzi North project in the deepwater US Gulf of Mexico.

Woodside has started production at its Shenzi North project in the deepwater US Gulf of Mexico.

Shenzi North, the first development phase of the Greater Wildling mini-basin, was discovered in 2017. The project is a two-well subsea development tied back to the Shenzi tension leg platform installed in 1,310 m of water. The development is onstream ahead of targeted first oil in 2024. Final investment decision (FID) was taken in July 2021.

Shenzi field lies about 195 km off the coast of Louisiana in the Green Canyon area. It was discovered in 2002 and started oil and natural gas production in 2009. Shenzi platform produces both oil and gas with a production capacity of 100,000 b/d and 50 MMscfd.

Crude oil and natural gas produced from the field is transported to connecting pipelines for onward sale to Gulf Coast customers. Oil is transported through the 115-mile Ceasar pipeline. Natural gas is transported via a lateral pipeline tied into the 20-in. OD Cleopatra natural gas pipeline for ultimate transmission onshore to the Enterprise Products Partners-operated Neptune gas processing plant in St. Mary’s Parish, La.

Woodside holds a 72% interest in the Shenzi conventional oil and gas field as operator. Repsol holds the remaining 28% interest.

Woodside Petroleum Ltd. acquired the asset as part of its 2021 deal with BHP Group to combine their respective oil and gas portfolios (OGJ Online, Aug. 23, 2021).