Chevron Corp. has sanctioned the Ballymore project in the deepwater US Gulf of Mexico. The project, with a design capacity of 75,000 b/d of crude oil, will be developed as a three-mile subsea tieback to the existing Chevron-operated Blind Faith platform, the company said in a May 17 release.
Sanction comes 4 years after the Ballymore well, drilled to a final depth of 8,898 m, encountered 205 m of net oil pay in a high-quality Jurassic Norphlet reservoir (OGJ Online, Jan. 31, 2018).
Ballymore will be Chevron’s first development in the Norphlet trend of the US gulf. The project will be in the Mississippi Canyon area in about 6,600 ft (2,000 m) of water, about 160 miles (260 km) southeast of New Orleans, La.
Potentially recoverable oil-equivalent resources for Ballymore are estimated at more than 150 million bbl.
The $1.6-billion project, which involves three production wells tied back via one flowline, will transport oil and natural gas production via existing infrastructure with first oil expected in 2025.
Chevron USA Inc. is operator of the project with 60% working interest. TotalEnergies E&P USA Inc. holds the remaining 40%.