Dorado-3 appraisal well confirms hydrocarbons in three reservoirs

Wireline results in the Santos Ltd.-operated Dorado-3 appraisal well in the Bedout subbasin of northwest Western Australia have confirmed hydrocarbons in the three main reservoirs at the field first discovered in July 2018.

190905 Santos Dorado3 Map

Wireline results in the Santos Ltd.-operated Dorado-3 appraisal well in the Bedout subbasin of northwest Western Australia have confirmed hydrocarbons in the three main reservoirs at the field first discovered in July 2018.

Santos said the hydrocarbons have been found in the primary Caley reservoir as well as the secondary Baxter reservoir and the Crespin reservoir.

In the Caley, Dorado-3 intersected predominantly oil-bearing hydrocarbons in 53 m (net) of high-quality reservoir with an average porosity of 16%. Pressure data indicates the reservoir is in communication with the equivalent reservoirs in the Dorado-1 and Dorado-2 wells. No water contact has been identified.

Wireline logging in the Baxter sand also confirmed a 9-m net hydrocarbon column with an average porosity of 12%. Again no water contact was identified. Pressure data indicates the Baxter is also in communication with equivalent reservoir in the first two wells.

In the Crespin reservoir Dorado-3 appears to have encountered hydrocarbons in a 5-m column in area expected to be water-bearing.

A fourth target, the Milne sand was water wet in a section that had encountered hydrocarbons in Dorado-1 and Dorado-2.

Overall, the wireline results for Dorado-3 provide confidence to run two planned flow tests of the Calley and Baxter intervals in the well. These tests are the final key variable required to progress to development planning activities.

Dorado-3 has been drilled to a total depth of 4,643 m and a 7-in. liner is being set in place prior to the test program.

The well was drilled by the Noble Tom Prosser jack up rig in 95 m of water depth 900 m northwest of the Dorado-1 discovery well.

Dorado-3 is slightly downdip from Dorado-1, but significantly updip from Dorado-2 drilled earlier this year 2.2 km east of Dorado-1.

Dorado and nearby Roc oil and gas fields are in WA-437-P 160 km north-northwest of Port Hedland on the Western Australian coast.

Santos is operator with 80% interest. Carnarvon has the remaining 20%.

More in Exploration & Development