Wellesley Petroleum AS, will plug northern North Sea exploration well 36/1-4 S—the second in production license 885. It was classified as dry.
The well was drilled about 65 km northwest of Florø and about 60 km north of Gjøafeltet by the Borgland Dolphin drilling rig in 211 m of water. It was drilled to a vertical depth of 3,224 m below sea level and was terminated in basement rock.
The objective was to prove petroleum in Middle Jurassic reservoir rocks in the Krossfjord formation.
The well encountered the formation with water-bearing sandstone rocks at about 33 m, with poor to moderate reservoir quality. Water-bearing sandstone rocks were also encountered at about 33 m with poor to moderate reservoir quality, of unknown age, deeper in the well. The formation has traces of petroleum.
Data acquisition has been carried out.
Wellesley Petroleum is operator of the license with 80% interest. Petoro AS holds the remaining 20%.
The rig will now proceed to Fedafjorden.