Aker BP started production from Kobra East and Gekko (KEG) oil and gas fields in production license (PL) 203 in the Alvheim area offshore Norway. The original startup target was first-quarter 2024. The project has been delivered under the original budget of NOK 8 billion.
KEG has been developed in the Norwegian part of the central North Sea near the UK border with subsea installations connected to the Alvheim FPSO on Aker BP-operated Alvheim field. Four multi-branch wells have been drilled in the reservoir (the Heimdal formation, a high-quality turbidite reservoir similar to the reservoir developed on Alvheim field) with about 42 km combined measured depth.
KEG will extend the Alvheim FPSO lifetime up to 2040. The ongoing Tyrving project—estimated to come on stream in 2025—will add further production to the FPSO, the operator said. Recoverable resources at Tyrving are estimated at about 25 MMboe. (OGJ Online, June 8, 2023).
Recoverable reserves as noted in KEG's plan for operation and development, submitted to the Ministry of Petroleum and Energy in June 2021, are estimated at about 40 MMboe.
Since the start of production from Alvheim in 2008, nearly 600 MMboe have been produced from the area.
Aker BP is operator at PL 203 with 80% interest. ConocoPhillips Skandinavia AS holds the remaining 20%.