Drilling/Production news briefs, May 15

Soekor E&P � Energy Africa � Pluspetrol Peru Corp. � Occidental Peruana Inc.


South African state firm Soekor E&P Pty. Ltd. has brought on stream Oryx oil field off South Africa. The field is flowing 10,500 b/d, said the country's Minister of Minerals and Energy, Phumzile Mlabo-Ngcuka. The $32.4 million Oryx development was completed in 8� months�3 weeks ahead of schedule and within budget. Oil is flowing from two wells through a 5.5 km pipeline to the Orca floating production unit, 140 km southwest of Mossel Bay. Oryx oil is combined with production from Oribi field and loaded onto a shuttle tanker and transported to Cape Town, where first oil from Oryx field is expected in 4 weeks. Soekor E&P owns 100% of Oryx field and 80% of Oribi (Energy Africa holds the remaining 20%). With the addition of Oryx field, says Soekor, the economic life of Oribi will be extended until 2003-04.

Pluspetrol Peru Corp., Argentina, has taken over Occidental Peruana Inc.�s service contract in Mara�on basin Block 1AB in Peru�s northern jungle. The handover was made according to a May 8 agreement between the two companies. The agreement was authorized by the Peruvian government on Apr. 18 and signed by Perupetro SA, the state company that promotes oil and gas contracts and supervises the contractors. Occidental is maintaining an office in Lima and is reportedly discussing new exploration ventures with Perupetro.

More in Production Operations