Triton finds new oil pool off Equatorial Guinea

Triton Energy Ltd., Dallas, has revealed that its Ceiba-5 appraisal well, drilled on Block G off Equatorial Guinea, not only confirmed the primary oil pool found in the first four Ceiba wells but also encountered a deeper pool with an additional high-quality reservoir not seen in any of the previous Ceiba wells. Ceiba-5, which Triton calls a 'significant step-out well,' cut 243 ft of net oil-bearing pay in three zones.

Jul 25th, 2000


Triton Energy Ltd., Dallas, has revealed that its Ceiba-5 appraisal well on Block G off Equatorial Guinea not only confirmed the primary oil pool found in the first four Ceiba wells but also encountered a deeper pool with an additional high-quality reservoir not seen in any of the previous Ceiba wells.

Based on analysis of drilling, wireline logging, downhole pressure measurements, and rock-fluid samples, Ceiba-5�which Triton calls a "significant step-out well"�cut 243 ft of net oil-bearing pay in three zones. The new oil pool has an oil-water contact 328 ft below the oil-water contact of the primary Ceiba pool.

"Drilled on the western flank of the Ceiba structure, the Ceiba-5 well validated the lateral reservoir continuity and connectivity of the field's primary oil pool to the northwest," said Triton.

Ceiba-5 well was drilled to 9,187 ft TD in 2,622 ft of water, 23 miles off the continental coast of Equatorial Guinea. The well is about 1.75 miles northwest and 50 ft downdip of the Ceiba-3 development well.

Ceiba-5 has been temporarily suspended and will be brought on production after the first four Ceiba wells provide early oil production from the field.

Triton drilled the Ceiba discovery well last fall (OGJ, Oct. 11, 1999, Newsletter). It was the first discovery in the Rio Muni basin. Since then, operator Triton has drilled a string of successful wells in the field, this fifth one being an even greater triumph for the firm.

"The Ceiba-5 well is the most important well we've drilled since the Ceiba-1 discovery well for several reasons,'' said James C. Musselman, Triton's president and CEO. "It is our most aggressive step-out well to date, confirming the lateral extent of the field in a new direction. In addition, the new pool found by Ceiba-5 has a significantly deeper oil-water contact than we've encountered elsewhere in the field.

"Wireline log and subsurface pressure data confirm it to be a separate pool with a deeper reservoir than what we've seen before. We will further define the pool through future development drilling.

"Also, because of the new oil pool and confirmation of the field's areal extent to the northwest, the well further delineates the Ceiba field's reserves," Musselman said.

Completion of the Ceiba-4 well by the Sedco 700 semisubmersible rig should be finished shortly, says Triton. The Sedco 700 then will complete Ceiba-1, 2 and 3 wells, readying them for hookup to the field's early production system so that first oil can be achieved by yearend 2000.

"The sequence and timing of the subsequent completions will depend on the progress of field activities related to the installation of the early production system," said Triton.

Triton expects shortly to spud the Ceiba-6 appraisal well with the R.F. Bauer drillship, which also drilled Ceiba-5. The Ceiba-6 drillsite is 0.8 miles south-southeast of Ceiba-4 on the eastern flank of the field.

"We plan for the Ceiba-6 well to penetrate the oil-water contact in a downdip position, providing us with valuable stratigraphic information on the flank of the Ceiba field," said Musselman. "We will use this data for geologic modeling and planning future water-injection wells, which will enhance oil recovery from the field.

"We may use Ceiba-6 as a water-injection well because its location is significantly downdip," he added.

After drilling the sixth well, the Bauer will spud the first of six exploration wells to be drilled during the remainder of the year and early 2001. Triton says it has not determined the well locations.

Triton is analyzing 4,200 sq km of seismic data acquired over Block G and adjacent Block F. The data will aid the firm in defining the extent of the field, as well as identifying other exploration prospects.

Triton has an 85% working interest in and is operator of Blocks F and G; Energy Africa Ltd. of South Africa has the remaining 15%.

More in Production Operations