Tamboran considers Beetaloo basin project

March 26, 2024
Tamboran will propose a 40 MMcfd pilot project at Shenandoah South in the Beetaloo sub-basin, Australia, after a successful flow test.

Tamboran (B2) Pty Ltd. will propose a 40 MMcfd pilot project at Shenandoah South in EP117 in the Beetaloo sub-basin, Northern Territory, Australia, after a successful flow test of the Shenandoah South 1H (SS-1H) well.

The well started flowing on Jan. 25, 2024, after a 3-week soak period to increase permeability of the shale after absorbing stimulation fluid (OGJ Online. Jan. 29, 2024). After a 60-day flow test period, the well produced an average initial production (IP60) flow rate of 3.0 MMscfd over the 1,644-ft, 10-stage stimulated length within the Amungee Member B-Shale. Exit rate trajectory after the 60 days of flow testing showed a steady low declining curve at 2.76 MMcfd over the stimulated length and stable 530 psi reservoir back pressure.

Results to date confirm that the region, measuring more than 1 million gross acres below 8,850 ft, is one of the best locations in Beetaloo basin to start pilot development activities, partner Falcon Oil & Gas said in a release.

The SS-1H IP60 flow test indicates that future development wells with lateral length of 10,000 ft may be capable of delivering average rates of 18.4 MMcfd over the first 60 days of production.

The pilot project is expected to require six 10,000-ft development wells initially to achieve plateau production of 40 MMcfd. Drilling of the first well is expected to begin in second-quarter 2024. First gas is expected in first-half 2026.

Tamboran is operator of EP117 (77.5%). Falcon holds the remaining 22.5%.