Atlantis producing; will plateau within months
BP PLC has ramped up oil and gas production from Atlantis field in deepwater Gulf of Mexico, 130 miles off Louisiana. The facility is expected to reach plateau production over the next 6-12 months.
By OGJ editors
HOUSTON, Dec. 20 -- BP PLC has ramped up oil and gas production from Atlantis field in deepwater Gulf of Mexico, 130 miles off Louisiana.
Additional wells will be brought on stream, and the facility is expected to reach plateau production over the next 6-12 months. Production commenced with commissioning of wells and facilities in October. Gas sales have started, and oil volumes are increasing.
Atlantis is being developed using the world's deepest-moored semisubmersible with subsea trees tied back to the host. The field comprises five blocks, Green Canyon 699, 700, 742, 743, and 744, in water 4,400-7,100 ft.
BP PLC, operator, holds 56% interest in Atlantis. BHP Billiton PLC holds the other 44%. "Although we have considerable drilling remaining, we are pleased to begin oil and gas production from this world-class field," said J. Michael Yeager, chief executive for BHP Billiton.
The Atlantis production platform has nameplate processing capacity of 200,000 b/d of oil and 180 MMcfd of gas. Crude oil from Atlantis is transported via the Caesar oil pipeline to the Ship Shoal 332B platform, where there are multiple pipeline connections that allow the oil to directly reach major US markets and pipeline interconnections.
Natural gas from Atlantis is exported via the Cleopatra pipeline to the Ship Shoal 332A platform, where it will interconnect with the Manta Ray gathering system and from there to the Nautilus gas transportation system into Louisiana.
Atlantis field was discovered by the joint venture in 1998.