Gas production begins at Tunisia's Chergui field

Petrofac Energy Developments began natural gas and condensate production Aug. 8 from Chergui field on Kerkennah Island in Tunisia.

Uchenna Izundu
International Editor

LONDON, Aug. 11 -- Petrofac Energy Developments began natural gas and condensate production Aug. 8 from Chergui field on Kerkennah Island in Tunisia. The $100 million development produced first commercial gas from two wells.

The central production facility can process 20 MMscfd of gas. Tunisian state gas and electricity company, Societe Tunisienne de L'Electricite et du Gaz (STEG) is buying the output, which is delivered via a 57 km pipeline to shore where it ties into STEG facilities at Ain Turkia near Sfax on its main pipeline to Tunis.

Production plateau rates of 20 MMscfd are expected for at least 4 years.

"Future potential gas development opportunities may extend the production plateau and the ultimate life of the field," said Petrofac. It operates the field and holds a 45% interest. Its development partner, Tunisian state oil company Entreprise Tunisienne D'Activities Petrolieres (ETAP) holds the remaining 55%.

Contact Uchenna Izundu at uchennai@pennwell.com.

More in Drilling & Production