Statoil confirms Agbami structure extension

Norwegian company Statoil confirmed an extension of the Agbami structure in offshore production license 217 with a recently completed well. A production test of one oil-bearing zone in the Ekoli-1 discovery well flowed oil at a maximum of 4,800 b/d.


Norwegian company Statoil confirmed an extension of the Agbami structure in offshore production license 217 with a recently completed well. A production test of one oil-bearing zone in the Ekoli-1 discovery well flowed oil at a maximum of 4,800 b/d.

Drilled by R&B Falcon Corp.'s Deepwater Millennium drillship in 1,461 m of water, the well reached a maximum depth of 4,510 m between July 7 and Oct. 3. It penetrated an extension of the Agbami structure proven by Texaco Inc., White Plains, NY, with the Agbami-1 well in neighboring block 216 last year.

Erik Syrstad, manager of Statoil's Lagos office, said the Ekoli-1 "came in as forecast, confirming that Agbami extends into our 217 block and substantially increasing that field's proven reserves." Since completing this well, the Deepwater Millennium moved to block 218�also operated by Statoil�to spud the Bilah-1 wildcat.

Statoil Nigeria holds 53.85% of OPL 217, while Texaco Nigeria Outer Shelf holds the remaining 46.15%.

More in Drilling & Production