China approves Noble Affiliates' Bohai Bay development

The Chinese government has given final approval to Energy Development Corp. China Inc. to develop the Cheng Dao Xi Block A field in southern Bohai Bay, said Energy Development parent company Noble Affiliates Inc. First production from the field is expected in the second quarter 2002.

Oct 31st, 2000


The Chinese government has given final approval to Energy Development Corp. China Inc. to develop the Cheng Dao Xi Block A field in southern Bohai Bay, said Energy Development parent company Noble Affiliates Inc.

The development of the field, located in 25 ft of water, will consist of 16 wells, a drilling and production platform, and a 5-mile pipeline that will connect the field to existing onshore infrastructure in the Shengli oil field. The production facilities on the platform will be able to process 10,000 b/d of oil, said Noble Affiliates.

First production from the field is expected in the second quarter 2002.

Noble revealed Monday that two appraisal wells were drilled on the property in 1998, and one tested at up to 1,500 b/d of oil. The company also plans to drill exploratory wells on the Cheng Dao Xi block B and Cheng Zi Kou concessions in 2001.

The crude oil will be marketed to China Petroleum & Chemical Corp. (Sinopec) at international prices.

Energy Development operates the Cheng Dao Xi block A field with a 57% interest, and Sinopec, through the Shengli Petroleum Administration Bureau, holds the remaining 43% interest.

More in Drilling & Production