Triton spuds Ceiba-6 well, begins completion of Ceiba-2

Triton Energy Ltd., Dallas, said Wednesday that it has spudded the Ceiba-6 well off Equatorial Guinea, and that Global Marine Inc.'s R.F. Bauer drillship, a Sedco-700 semisubmersible rig, started completion of the Ceiba-2 well this week after completing Ceiba-4. Triton plans to drill up to six exploration wells after Ceiba-6.


Triton Energy Ltd., Dallas, said today that it has spudded the Ceiba-6 well off Equatorial Guinea with Global Marine Inc.'s R.F. Bauer drillship, and that the Sedco 700 semisubmersible rig started completion of the Ceiba-2 well this week after completing Ceiba-4. Triton plans to drill up to six exploration wells after Ceiba-6.

Ceiba-6, a significant step-out, will be drilled 2.5 miles south of Ceiba-4. Triton expects the well to reach total depth in 30-35 days.

The well will delineate the southeastern extent of the main field, test the potential of laminated sands and other secondary reservoirs, and provide key geologic information to refine the Ceiba field model and drainage plan, said Triton.

Triton expects oil to begin flowing from Ceiba by yearend from the first four wells drilled and completed in the field.

Ceiba field is on Block G off the continental coast of Equatorial Guinea. Triton is operator of Blocks G and F, which encompass 1.3 million acres. It holds an 85% working interest in the Rio Muni basin blocks, which lie 150 miles south of the country's capital, Malabo. Triton's partner in the blocks is South Africa's Energy Africa Ltd., which holds the remaining 15% interest.

More in Drilling & Production