ConocoPhillips makes gas find with Poseidon-1 well

ConocoPhillips made an apparent natural gas discovery in the Browse basin off Western Australia during the drilling of its Poseidon-1 wildcat in permit WA-315-P about 480 km north of Broome.

Rick Wilkinson
OGJ Correspondent

MELBOURNE, Apr. 28 -- ConocoPhillips made an apparent natural gas discovery in the Browse basin off Western Australia during the drilling of its Poseidon-1 wildcat in permit WA-315-P about 480 km north of Broome.

The company intersected a 10 m hydrocarbon-bearing sand at a depth of 4,796 m just below the top of the Mid-Jurassic Plover formation, followed by two additional hydrocarbon-bearing intervals of 67 m and 114 m deeper in the stratigraphic section. Mud logs and logging-while-drilling equipment indicated hydrocarbons are present. The shows have yet to be fully evaluated but will be analyzed on completion of drilling and wireline logging operations.

The find, which is likely to be gas and condensate, lies just to the north of Woodside Energy Ltd.'s giant Torosa gas-condensate field and northwest of Inpex Corp.'s Ichthys gas-condensate field.

The well is being drilled by semisubmersible Sedco 703 and is the first of a six-well program by ConocoPhillips and its joint venture partner Karoon Gas Ltd. of Melbourne in three adjacent permits.

ConocoPhillips has 51% interest in WA-315-P with Karoon holding the remaining 49%.

More in Exploration & Development