Canacol’s Leono 2 exploration well flows oil from Colombia’s Llanos basin

Canacol Energy Ltd. has announced its second well, Leono 2, on the LLA 23 contract in the Colombia’s Llanos basin encountered 121 ft of net oil pay in four separate reservoirs.

Canacol Energy Ltd. reported its second well, Leono 2, on the LLA 23 contract in the Colombia’s Llanos basin encountered 121 ft of net oil pay in four separate reservoirs.

The Leono 2 well was spud Jan. 11 and was drilled to a depth of 12,610 ft on Jan. 26.

The well tested at a gross rate of 1,328 b/d of oil in the C7 reservoir (10 ft net oil pay with average porosity of 19%). The well encountered 60 ft of net oil pay in the Barco, which has an average porosity of 18%. The Barco was perforated from 10,974-10,979 ft and flowed 3,003 b/d of oil of 37° gravity API oil.

The Leono 2 encountered 26 ft of net oil pay within the Gacheta reservoir and 25 ft net oil pay in Ubaque, which have average porosities of 24% and 19% respectively.

Canacol has an 80% operated working interest in the LLA23 contract, with Petromont Colombia SA holding the remaining 20%.

The LLA23 contract gives Canacol access to 115,014 acres. It is a conventional reservoir, not prospective for shale as previously reported (OGJ Online, Dec. 16, 2013).

More in Exploration & Development