Talisman makes oil, gas find off Vietnam

Talisman Energy Inc. has tested peak rates of 13,450 b/d of light oil and 6.87 MMcfd of natural gas from its second exploration well, Hai Su Den (HSD), off Vietnam.

Jan 15th, 2008

Uchenna Izundu
International Editor

LONDON, Jan. 15 -- Talisman Energy Inc. has tested peak rates of 13,450 b/d of light oil and 6.87 MMcfd of natural gas from its second exploration well, Hai Su Den (HSD), off Vietnam.

HSD targeted a fractured basement reservoir and was drilled to a TVD of 11,168 ft, encountering a hydrocarbon-bearing interval of about 2,400 ft.

The results were constrained by test equipment, Talisman said. It described the discovery as "very promising" and offering a possible new development, as another discovery was made earlier in 2007 on the same block, 15-2/01. There also is the potential for upside from additional exploration wells.

Another four exploration wells are planned over the course of the year by Thang Long Joint Operating Co., a special purpose joint venture vehicle that will carry out all activities on the block. Activities will focus on evaluating features on trend with the HSD discovery.

Talisman holds a 60% working interest in any commercial discoveries on Block 15-2/01 with PetroVietnam Exploration & Production Co. holding the remaining 40%.

Block 15-2/01 is 50 miles off eastern Vietnam and is on trend with large oil and gas discoveries in the Cuu Long basin.

Contact Uchenna Izundu at uchennai@pennwell.com.

More in Exploration & Development