LUKOIL PJSC has spudded the Yoti West-1Exp well in Gulf of Mexico Block 12, 50 km off the coast of Tabasco, Mexico. The exploration well—the first in the block—is expected to provide geological and geophysical data needed to decide on further exploration.
The well is being drilled by the Valaris 8505 semisubmersible rig in 207 m of water. Exploration will focus on turbidite deposits of Upper and Lower Miocene.
The 521-sq m block has varying water depths of 150-400 m. LUKOIL Upstream Mexico is operator with 60% interest. Joint venture partner Eni SPA holds the remaining 40%. The parties’ minimum obligations for the early stages of exploration are to drill one well.