Salamander starts drilling in Thailand

Salamander Energy PLC announced the start of a drilling program in Bualuang oil field in the western Gulf of Thailand in water depths of 60 m.

Eric Watkins
OGJ Oil Diplomacy Editor

LOS ANGELES, Mar. 30 -- Salamander Energy PLC announced the start of a drilling program in Bualuang oil field in the western Gulf of Thailand in water depths of 60 m.

It said Vantage Drilling Co.'s Emerald Driller jack up arrived on location Mar. 26 for a drilling program comprised of one exploration well, two horizontal producers, and a water disposal well.

"The BA-11P exploration pilot well, which was spudded on Mar. 29, is targeting the T3 and T2 sandstone reservoirs at depths of 1,350 m and 1,550 m subsea respectively, some 250-450 m below the main T4 reservoir," Salamander said.

The firm gave predrill estimates of the T2 and T3 resource potential range as 5–10 million bbl of oil. Hydrocarbons will be logged and sampled before the well is plugged back and converted into one of two horizontal producers, BA-11H and BA-12H.

"These two wells will have 250 m horizontal sections and are expected to be completed and tied in within a 6-8 week period," Salamander said.

Last August, Salamander announced the start of production from Bualuang oil field on Block B8/38. "Following successful hook up and commissioning of the Rubicon Vantage floating production, storage, and offloading vessel, production from the field began from well BA-05," Salamander said.

It said six development wells had been drilled in the field up to that period, five producers and one water injector. It said oil would be processed and stored in the Rubicon Vantage FPSO vessel prior to sale.

Salamander said it plans to test "the remaining potential within Block B8/38, including the undrilled east flank of the field as well as analogous structures elsewhere in the production license area."

Bualuang field is operated by Salamander, which holds a 60% interest, while SOCO International PLC holds the remaining 40%.

Earlier this month, Salamander said it would sign a production-sharing contract with PetroVietnam Exploration Production Corp. for Block 31, off southern Vietnam.

Salamander will be operator and will hold a 60% stake in the block, which covers some 5,000 sq km and is adjacent to the Block Cuu Long River Delta 01 PSC, which the firm also operates. Petrovietnam will hold the remaining 40%.

Contact Eric Watkins at hippalus@yahoo.com.

More in Drilling & Production