Apache lets contract for Reindeer gas field

Apache Energy has awarded a $200 million (Aus.) contract to Perth-based Clough Engineering to install offshore facilities in Reindeer gas field off Western Australia.

Rick Wilkinson
OGJ Correspondent

MELBOURNE, June 18 -- Apache Energy has awarded a $200 million (Aus.) contract to Perth-based Clough Engineering to install offshore facilities in Reindeer gas field off Western Australia.

The offshore contract consists of an unmanned minimum wellhead platform and the laying of a single raw gas pipeline 100 km from the field to the Reindeer onshore gas processing facilities at Devils Creek some 65 km southwest of Karratha on the Pilbara coast.

Clough earlier this year landed the engineering, procurement, and construction contract for the gas processing plant.

Clough says it will use its Java Constructor vessel for the offshore line and the Clough Challenge for the beach pull.

Engineering work will begin immediately, with offshore construction timed to start during second-half 2009 and be completed by yearend 2009.

Reindeer field, found in 1997, is on permit WA-209-P in the Carnarvon basin. Gross gas reserves are estimated at 410-640 petajoules. All gas produced will serve Western Australia's domestic market.

Apache holds a 55% interest in the project and Santos the remaining 45%.

More in Drilling & Production