Statoil makes another natural gas find offshore Tanzania

Statoil ASA and ExxonMobil Corp. have made their fifth natural gas discovery on Block 2 offshore Tanzania amounting to an additional 2-3 tcf.

The discovery was made with the Mronge-1 well, drilled by the Discoverer Americas drillship about 20 km north of the Zafarani discovery in 2,500 m of water.

The Mronge-1 well discovered gas at two separate levels, with the primary accumulation at the same stratigraphic level as proven in the Zafarani-1 well on Block 2, and the secondary accumulation in a separate, younger gas-bearing reservoir in a play that has not been tested on Block 2.

In September, the partners started their Block 2 drilling campaign, which included drilling several prospects and appraisals of previous discoveries. The partners are scheduled to appraise the 2012 Zafarani discovery following Mronge-1.

Statoil said the Mronge-1 discovery was preceded by three “successful, high-impact” gas discoveries in the first drilling phase with Tangawizi-1 (OGJ Online, Mar. 18, 2013), Zafarani-1, and Lavani-1 (OGJ Online, June 14, 2012), and a deeper discovery in a separate reservoir in Lavani-2 (OGJ Online, Dec. 22. 2012).

Statoil now estimates the total Block 2 in-place volumes at 17-20 tcf. Helge Lund, Statoil’s chief executive officer, previously said the company is looking into possible LNG projects as a result of its offshore Tanzania discoveries (OGJ Online, Oct. 8, 2013).

Statoil, in Tanzania since 2007, operates the license on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corp. with 65% working interest. ExxonMobil Exploration & Production Tanzania Ltd. owns the remaining 35% (OGJ Online, Mar. 31, 2010).

Related Articles

Western gulf lease sale attracts $110 million in high bids

08/20/2014 Gulf of Mexico western planning area Lease Sale 238 drew 93 bids from 14 companies over 81 blocks covering 433,823 acres, totaling $109,951,644 in ...

Gabon, Eni leaders discuss development of Nyonie Deep gas discovery

08/19/2014 Eni SPA Chief Executive Officer Claudio Descalzi met with Gabon President Bongo Ondimba in Libreville on Aug. 18 to outline the appraisal campaign ...

Apache makes major oil discovery off Western Australia

08/18/2014 Apache Corp. has made an oil discovery with its Phoenix South-1 well, drilled 110 miles north of Port Hedland in 435 ft of water in permit WA-435-P...

BP, Noble plug, abandon deepwater Bright well on Atwater Valley block

08/15/2014 The BP Exploration & Production Inc.-operated Bright exploration well in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico did not show hydrocarbons after reaching ...

Careers at TOTAL

Careers at TOTAL - Videos

More than 600 job openings are now online, watch videos and learn more!

 

Click Here to Watch

Other Oil & Gas Industry Jobs

Search More Job Listings >>
Stay Connected