Exploration/Development news briefs, Sept. 29

Shell Brasil � Petrobras � Esso Brasileira de Petr�leo � Mobil Explora� e Desenvolvimento � Remington Oil & Gas � Magnum Hunter Resources � Miller Petroleum � Tengasco � W&T Offshore � Magnum Hunter Resources � Bison Resources �


Shell Brasil SA has informed the Brazilian National Petroleum Agency that indications of hydrocarbons have been found in the upper section of the 1SHEL-1-ESS well now being drilled on Campos Basin block 10, Petroleo Brasileiro SA (Petrobras) said. Petrobras is a partner in the block, as are Esso Brasileira de Petr�leo Ltda. and Mobil Explora� e Desenvolvimento Ltda. This is the first well to be drilled on the block; drilling should be complete by the early part of October.

Remington Oil & Gas Corp. revealed test results from its High Island A-441 No. 1 well, located 73 miles off Texas in 168 ft of water. The well tested at 9 MMcfd of gas and 126 b/d of condensate. A subsea wellhead has been installed, said Remington, and production is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2001 following flowline installation. Remington operates the well with 75% working interest. Magnum Hunter Resources Inc. owns the remaining 25% working interest.

Miller Petroleum Inc. said it completed the Dewey Sutton No. 1 well located in Hancock County, Tenn. The well tested at 100 b/d of oil. The field appears to broaden Tengasco Inc.'s Swan Creek field, said Miller, adding it drilled the well though its farmout arrangement with Tengasco.

W&T Offshore Inc. said it made a discovery on Eugene Island 397 off Louisiana that found 200 ft of pay. W&T operates the discovery well with a 50% working interest. Well partner Remington Oil & Gas Corp. said production casing is being set at the well, located 160 miles southwest of New Orleans in 480 ft of water. A confirmation well will be drilled that will have a bottom hole location on Green Canyon 48. Remington owns a 37.5% working interest in the find, and Magnum Hunter Resources Inc. owns the remaining 12.5% working interest.

Bison Resources Ltd. said it has completed a drilling program in the Midale, Southeast Saskatchewan, area and has cased six wells for oil production. Five wells have been completed and placed on production into single well batteries, the sixth well is currently undergoing completion and will be evaluated more definitively within the next week, said Bison. The company also said it is progressing in its plans to construct a battery at Midale to process emulsion. In conjunction with the battery a salt water disposal well will be drilled to offset water production costs.

More in Companies