Maersk Oil boosts Dumbarton oil production

Maersk Oil has produced more than 40,000 b/d of oil from two wells on Dumbarton field in the UK North Sea under the first phase of its $600 million extension program.

Uchenna Izundu
International Editor

LONDON, Sept. 23 -- Maersk Oil has produced more than 40,000 b/d of oil from two wells on Dumbarton field in the UK North Sea under the first phase of its $600 million extension program. Dumbarton is on Blocks 15/20a and 15/20b about 140 km northeast of Aberdeen.

"With the additional two wells Dumbarton now has seven horizontal producers and two deviated water injection wells," Maersk said.

Since January 2007 when Dumbarton came on stream, it has produced more than 17 million bbl of oil through the Global Producer 3 floating production, storage, and offloading vessel.

The extension, utilizing the existing subsea infrastructure, involves phased drilling of as many as eight horizontal production wells and two water disposal wells on Dumbarton and nearby Lochranza fields.

The second phase drilling program is ongoing and will continue into 2009. Lochranza, which is on Block 15/20a, will also be developed by drilling two horizontal production wells, tied back to the Dumbarton subsea facilities, subject to receiving final government approvals.

Maersk is the operator, with a 70% working interest, and its partner is Noble Energy with the remaining 30% working interest.

Contact Uchenna Izundu at uchennai@pennwell.com.

More in Drilling & Production