Africa in Perspective: Natural gas offers Nigeria huge potential, challenge

07/02/2001
The Nigerian gas industry offers huge challenges and potential. Click here to enlarge imageWith a reserve base of 130 tcf and a 2.6% share of world reserves, Nigeria ranks tenth among gas-bearing nations. The country's gas reserves-to-production ratio is estimated to be about 120 years. Oil's ratio is only 35 years, so Nigeria is increasingly considered a gas province.Reserves are split nearly evenly between associated and nonassociated gas. However, exploitation so far has been concentrated on associated gas, which accounts for 70% of total gas production. Only 35% of the associated gas produced is gainfully used. The other 65% is flared in the oil fields.With increasing focus o...
read-story

Why Register?

Non-subscribers can only view whitepapers by providing name, home and email address, phone number and other information and comment on/rate articles.

Why Subscribe?

Oil & Gas Journal subscribers with login credentials can access these premium features of OGJ Online:

  • Current Issue – an html version of the current week's issue of Oil & Gas Journal.
  • Past Issues – An Electronic OGJ Archive. A keyword-searchable archive of all issues of Oil & Gas Journal dating back to 1990; also searchable by issue date.
  • Market Journal – a weekly round-up of the oil and gas markets, with observations from leading analysts.
  • Editor's Perspective – a short article of insight and opinion by the Editor of Oil & Gas Journal.
  • OGJ Industry Stats – quick access to current industry statistics from Oil & Gas Journal.
  • OGJ Survey Downloads - quick access to exclusive reports from Oil & Gas Journal.

 

Subscriber Help or Subscribe

Oil & Gas Journal Subscribers: Have your subscription number (from the mailing label on the cover of your Oil & Gas Journal) and e-mail address ready to set up your online account through Customer Service Assistant.

If you're not an Oil & Gas Journal subscriber, start a subscription and gain access to the subscriber areas of OGJ Online now.

Stay Connected