Deep-draft caisson vessels expand deepwater production capabilities

Spars or deep-draft caisson vessels (DDCVs) have enabled development of oil and gas production from reservoirs lying beneath great water depths. These floating cylindrical hulls, equivalent in height to about a 75-story building, allow production from both dry-tree completed wells and tiebacks from subsea multifield developments. Click here to enlarge imageExxonMobil Corp. operates the Hoover-Diana DDCV, the third and heaviest to date of such facilities in the world to handle produced fluids (Table 1). ExxonMobil has a 66.67% working interest in this project with BP holding the remaining 33.33%.Regarding the difference between the DDCV and spar terminology, Michael E. Flynn, a vice-presi...

Why Register?

Non-subscribers can only view whitepapers by providing name, home and email address, phone number and other information and comment on/rate articles.

Why Subscribe?

Oil & Gas Journal subscribers with login credentials can access these premium features of OGJ Online:

  • Current Issue – an html version of the current week's issue of Oil & Gas Journal.
  • Past Issues – An Electronic OGJ Archive. A keyword-searchable archive of all issues of Oil & Gas Journal dating back to 1990; also searchable by issue date.
  • Market Journal – a weekly round-up of the oil and gas markets, with observations from leading analysts.
  • Editor's Perspective – a short article of insight and opinion by the Editor of Oil & Gas Journal.
  • OGJ Industry Stats – quick access to current industry statistics from Oil & Gas Journal.
  • OGJ Survey Downloads - quick access to exclusive reports from Oil & Gas Journal.


Subscriber Help or Subscribe

Oil & Gas Journal Subscribers: Have your subscription number (from the mailing label on the cover of your Oil & Gas Journal) and e-mail address ready to set up your online account through Customer Service Assistant.

If you're not an Oil & Gas Journal subscriber, start a subscription and gain access to the subscriber areas of OGJ Online now.

Stay Connected