Gazprom Neft claims seismic sensor mark in Iraq

Gazprom Neft of Russia has claimed a record for transmitting wireless seismic data from more than 6,200 sensors in mountainous terrain on its operated Shakal block in the southern part of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.

According to Wireless Seismic Inc., which manufactured the RT System 2 equipment, this is the largest number of sensors ever used in simultaneous wireless real-time data transmission. The previous record was not disclosed.

Preliminary processing produced recorded seismograms of quality similar to those derived from data received using standard cable telemetry systems, the company added.

Gazprom Neft chose the wireless system because of inaccessible locations unsuitable for cabling due to uneven ground and temperatures as high as 50° С.

The 277 sq km 3D survey on Shakal is to be completed by the end of 2013, and a geological survey will continue into 2014. The operator plans to complete the 3D and 2D seismic studies and begin drilling two exploratory wells in 2014.

Gazprom Neft became operator of the Shakal block in mid-2012 with an 80% interest, the other 20% being held by the Kurdistan Regional Government.

The 632 sq km Shakal block is near the Garmian block, in which Gazprom Neft also has a stake in the geological survey project. Garmian block interests are Gazprom Neft and Western Zagros Ltd. 40% each and the KRG 20%.

Related Articles

OTC: Pemex preparing for cultural transition as Mexico reforms energy laws

05/06/2014 Mexico’s Petroleos Mexicanos (Pemex) is preparing for a major cultural transition while the country’s government moves to implement energy reforms ...

OTC: Nova Scotia seeks bids in active eastern Canada offshore

05/06/2014 Exploration and development remain brisk offshore eastern Canada, provincial officials reported May 6 at the Offshore Technology Conference in Hous...

Falcon farms out portion of Beetaloo basin permits

05/06/2014 Falcon Oil & Gas Ltd., Dublin, has farmed out a portion of its exploration permits in the Beetaloo basin onshore Northern Territory to South Af...

OTC: Ocean-bottom seismic improves resolution for offshore subsurface

05/05/2014 Streamer technology is not new, however, it has gone through many advances within the last 30 years. In 1980, 120 channels were considered advanced...

Careers at TOTAL

Careers at TOTAL - Videos

More than 600 job openings are now online, watch videos and learn more!

 

Click Here to Watch

Other Oil & Gas Industry Jobs

Search More Job Listings >>
Stay Connected