Targa starts up Train 4 at Cedar Bayou fractionator

This article was updated Aug. 19.

Targa Resources LP, Houston, has started operations on the 100,000-b/d Train 4 at its Cedar Bayou fractionator at Mont Belvieu, Tex. Also, the company in mid-July broke ground on its 200-MMcfd cryogenic Longhorn gas processing plant in Wise County in North Texas.

Both announcements were part of Targa’s Aug. 1 earnings call.

The $150-million Longhorn plant will start operations in early 2014, delayed by regulatory filings from third-quarter this year. The $385-million Train 4 expansion brings Cedar Bayou “net” fractionation capacity to 346,000 b/d, according to the earnings presentation.

Targa owns 88% of the Cedar Bayou fractionator; BP owns the remaining 12%.

The fractionator project was grounded in agreements between Targa and DCP Midstream LLC, Denver. When it announced Train 4 in 2011, Targa also said it was evaluating another 100,000-b/d Train 5 expansion (OGJ Online, Oct. 20, 2011). The presentation earlier this month made no mention of Train 5 plans.

In addition, Targa’s presentation said the company’s capacity to export LPG from its Gulf Coast terminal will expand to 3 million bbl/month in third quarter, from 1-1.5 million bbl/month. By third-quarter 2014, export capacity will exceed 5 million bbl/month.

Targa operates one of only two NGL export terminals on the Upper Texas Coast. In March this year, Enterprise Products Partners LP, Houston, began operations at the expanded Houston Ship Channel LPG export terminal owned by Oiltanking Partners LP, Houston.

The expansion increased loading capacity for low-ethane propane to about 7.5 million bbl/month from 4 million bbl/month (OGJ Online, Mar. 7, 2013).

Contact Warren R. True at warrent@ogjonline.com.

Related Articles

Future of Croatian refinery remains uncertain

09/19/2014 Croatia’s Ministry of Economy said it remains to committed to working with Hungary’s state-owned MOL PLC, a subsidiary of MOL Group, Budapest, to p...

PDVSA wraps major maintenance at Puerto La Cruz refinery

09/18/2014 Petroleos de Venezuela SA (PDVSA) has completed major maintenance on the atmospheric distillation unit at its 190,000-b/d Puerto La Cruz refinery i...

WoodMac: China, North America face propylene oversupply

09/17/2014 Oil and gas analyst Wood Mackenzie Ltd. forecasts that global propylene production capacity will increase to 165 million tonnes/year (tpy) by 2030 ...

AFPM launches web site to recruit refining, petchem employees

09/17/2014 The American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers launched a workforce development web site to provide information for anyone seeking a career in...

Careers at TOTAL

Careers at TOTAL - Videos

More than 600 job openings are now online, watch videos and learn more!

 

Click Here to Watch

Other Oil & Gas Industry Jobs

Search More Job Listings >>
Stay Connected