Save Article Instructions
Close 

Shell to sidetrack Vicksburg strike in deepwater gulf

Royal Dutch Shell PLC plans a sidetrack well to test a prospect on a fault block separate from its deepwater Vicksburg A discovery in the Gulf of Mexico, which it estimates holds potentially recoverable oil and gas resources exceeding 100 million boe.

The Vicksburg A discovery well, on Mississippi Canyon Block 393 about 75 miles offshore, encountered more than 500 ft of net oil pay, Shell reported.

It was drilled to 26,385 ft in 7,446 ft of water. The location is west of Shell’s 2007 Vicksburg B discovery, which the company describes as a separate accumulation, and east of the Appomattox discovery. Shell has appraised the Appomattox find and estimates potentially recoverable resources there at more than 500 million boe.

The sidetrack from the Vicksburg A well will test a prospect called Corinth between the new discovery and Appomattox.

Shell is operator of MC Block 393 with a 75% interest. Nexen Inc., a wholly owned unit of CNOOC Ltd., holds the other 25%.


To access this Article, go to:
http://www.ogj.com/content/ogj/en/articles/2013/07/shell-to-sidetrack-vicksburg-strike-in-deepwater-gulf.html