Saudi Aramco has completed contractor selection for the engineering, procurement, and construction of the Jazan refinery and terminal in the southwest of the country.
Following front-end engineering design in April, Aramco selected Saudi Arabian and international contractors, as follows:
• Petrofac Saudi Arabia Ltd., Saudi Arabia.
• Hyundai Arabia Co. Ltd., Saudi Arabia.
• Hanwha Engineering and Construction Corp., South Korea.
• SK Engineering & Construction Co. Ltd., South Korea.
• Tecnicas Reunidas, Spain.
• JGC Corp., Japan.
• Hitachi Plant Technologies Ltd., Japan.
The project is slated for completion in late 2016. It will be a 400,000 b/d refinery with associated terminal on the Red Sea near Jazan. It will process Arabian Heavy and Arabian Medium crude oils, and produce gasoline, ultralow-sulfur diesel, benzene, and paraxylene.
Operations at the refinery will be coordinated with a large integrated gasification combined cycle plant currently under the FEED contract.
The marine terminal will be able to handle very large crude carriers (200,000-400,000 dwt) for supplying oil to the refinery and a range of product carriers to handle the refinery’s exports.