Williams lets contract for Discovery system platform

Williams Partners LP let a contract to a subsidiary of McDermott International Inc. for the installation of a connector platform for its Discovery system offshore facilities in the Gulf of Mexico.

The project will provide new junction facilities for Discovery’s Keathley Canyon Connector natural gas pipeline system via a 3,300-ton, four-leg platform in 350 ft of water. The unmanned platform will connect incoming deepwater pipelines from the Hadrian South and Lucius fields and outgoing shallow-water pipelines to shore.

McDermott expects to begin fabrication this summer at Morgan City, La., with offshore installation expected in third-quarter 2013 and start-up before yearend 2013. The company anticipates using its deepwater combination heavy lift and pipelay vessel DB50 to perform the installation.

The Keathley Canyon Connector is a 215-mile, 20-in. OD subsea gas gathering pipeline for production from the Keathley Canyon, Walker Ridge, and Green Canyon areas. Its designed capacity is 400 MMcfd (OGJ Online, Jan. 19, 2012).

Williams owns 60% of the Discovery system and operates it. DCP Midstream Partners LP owns the remaining 40%.

Contract Christopher E. Smith at

To access this Article, go to: